Duties of Officers and Chairs
1. President: The president shall preside at all meetings of the PPA and shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee. The president shall appoint chairpersons of PPA committees with the approval of the board of directors. The president shall delegate responsibilities to other PPA members and shall encourage meaningful participation in all parent and school activities. The president shall meet regularly with the Board of Directors in accordance with these bylaws to plan the agendas for the general membership meetings. The president shall be one of the eligible signatories on checks. The president shall assist with the transfer of PPA records to the incoming Board of Directors and Board Appointed Chairs.
2. Vice President (Membership Chair): The vice president shall assist the president and carry out the president’s duties in his/her absence or inability to serve. The vice president shall act at the Membership Chair. The membership chair is responsible for developing a year round membership plan that includes retention strategies as well as action steps that target and attract new members, promote and celebrate the PPA successes with members and the community, collecting and tracking membership dues, and providing membership reports.
3. Secretary: The secretary shall keep all records of the PPA, take and record minutes, prepare the agenda, handle correspondence, and send notices of meeting to membership. The secretary also keeps a copy of the meeting minute’s book, bylaws, rules, membership list, and any other necessary supplies, and brings them to meetings.
4. Treasurer: The treasurer shall create a budget in August for each school year and will be approved by a majority vote of the Board of Directors, receive all funds of the PPA, keep an accurate record of receipts and expenditures, and pay out funds in accordance with the approval of the Board of Directors. He/she will present a financial statement at every meeting and at other times of the year when requested by the Board of Directors, make a full report at the end of the year and have the account audited.
5. Vice Treasurer (Fundraising Chair): The vice treasurer shall assist the treasurer and carry out the treasurer’s duties in his/her absence or inability to serve. The vice treasurer shall act as the Fundraising Chair. The fundraising chair is responsible for developing fundraising strategy with the PPA board, create communications for general fundraising messages, provide updates to the board on fundraising progress, collecting and tracking all monies raised in fundraiser and support all the chairs with fundraising needs.
6. Communication Chair: Communication Chair shall ensure good communication with parents, teachers and staff, produce and distribute the bi-monthly newsletter, and update the PPA blog, send out email blasts to parents as needed and support all chairs with their information distribution needs.
7. Volunteer Chair: Volunteer Chair shall produce and distribute a volunteer interest form, update and maintain a volunteer database, assist all chairs with volunteer recruitment, record volunteer hours and tally the total of volunteer hours.
8. Spirit Night Chair: Spirit Night Chair shall work with Vice Treasurer/Fundraising Chair on coordinating all DES Spirit Night Fundraisers. He/she shall contact and schedule Spirit Night Fundraisers with local restaurants, work with Communication Chair on producing and distributing Spirit Night information to parents, and work with Volunteer Chair on recruiting volunteers to work the Spirit Night Fundraisers.
9. Room Parent/Teacher Appreciation Chair: The Room Parent/Teacher Appreciation Chair shall work with the Volunteer Chair and Communication Chair and teachers to coordinate the recruitment and placement of room parents, organize all school-wide duty-free lunches and teacher appreciation week activities, update and distribute Room Parent Handbook, update and maintain the Room Parent and Teacher contact information.
10. Fundraising Co-Chair: Fundraising Co-Chair shall assist fundraising chair and carry out the fundraising chair’s duties in his/her absence or inability to serve. The Fundraising Co-Chair shall act as the T-shirt coordinator. The t-shirt coordinator shall coordinate with Volunteer Chair on forming a spirit shirt design committee and present design options to the board of directors. T-shirt coordinator shall work with a local screen printing company on board agreed upon design, work with Communication Chair on producing and distributing shirt order forms, maintain the shirt order database and coordinate with Volunteer Chair on recruiting volunteers for shirt distribution and update board of directors on t-shirt fundraising progress, and collecting and tracking all monies raised in t-shirt fundraiser.
11. Popcorn Chair: Popcorn Chair shall produce a pre-paid popcorn order form in August and in January, collect all popcorn money, maintain the popcorn order database and work with Volunteer Chair to coordinate the recruitment of popcorn volunteers, report to Secretary any and all supplies needed for popcorn and report popcorn machine maintenance to the Board. Popcorn Chair shall update and inform popcorn volunteers of the proper popping, distributing and cleaning procedures on popcorn days.
12. Student Recognition Chair: Student Recognition Chair shall coordinate with faculty and staff and volunteer chair on Rewards, Praise and Recognition for students, teachers, staff and volunteers, maintain and update the recognition supplies, and solicit donations for recognition gifts.
13. Clothes Closet Chair: Clothes Closet Chair shall maintain the emergency uniforms and coordinate the solicitation of new or gently used uniforms, jacket, socks and shoes. He/she shall work with the Volunteer Chair and Communication Chair to organize a yearly uniform drive in May. Chair shall also obtain grade level supply list and coordinate with Treasurer to order supplies, update and distribute the emergency kits for each teacher prior to the start of school, and shall do a maintenance check on emergency kits in December during Winter Break.